Freelance Data Journalist
Join a young digital agency to help serve the SEO marketing and content needs of an existing roster of clients. This person should have a proven track record of building and maintaining successful SEO programs and client relationships with day-to-day client contacts and/or account teams. The candidate must be a quick learner, highly organized and comfortable working across different projects and client verticals. The candidate must be able to balance working in both our White Plains, NY office and working remotely.
What is the Role?
Moving Traffic Media is seeking an experienced data journalist to join our agency team. You will pitch, report, and build data-driven stories for Moving Traffic Media’s portfolio of clients.
This is a journalistic position as much as a technical one.
We are looking for interest in key areas, including but not limited to finance, health care, and startups. While your main responsibility is to take stories from pitch to publication, you will also create supporting data graphics for articles. For example, you might be asked to use data to illustrate extreme-weather events; or the popularity of a song over time, based on Spotify data; or gun purchases, using the state-level data from the National Instant Criminal Background Check System.
As part of Moving Traffic Media’s team, you will create work that pushes the boundaries of visual journalism and supports ethical reporting.
Note: If you do not check all of the following boxes, but are enthusiastic about the position please still apply; we are interested in candidates with any combination of skills in these areas.
- Pitch data-driven stories or graphics
- Create data visualizations based on your reporting and research
- Assist other team members with data research for graphics, which may include generating maps
- Develop data interactives to work across client sites both on desktop, mobile and various browsers
- Take initial concept to publication, while incorporating editorial changes from client and brand teams
- Adhere to the visual-style guide of respective clients
- Research and learn new languages or technologies as needed.
Does this Describe You?
- At least two years of experience reporting and building data visualizations
- Experience collecting and cleaning data, with regards to journalistic practices
- Experience using large amounts of quantitative information in your features
- Capable in a programming language for data analysis, such as R or Python
- Familiarity with a data-visualization library
- Familiarity with standard design software, such as Adobe Illustrator
- Foundational understanding of layout, typography, and UX, particularly with regard to mobile-Web development
- Fastidious attention to detail and exceptional organizational skills
- Ability to visualize complex ideas in a clear, accurate, and intelligent manner
- Proficiency at writing detailed and accessible methodology notes
- Strong editorial values
Nice to have: (Do not let this list limit you from applying. If you happen to have experience in these areas, we’d love to hear about it.)
- Experience with data mining
- Interest in innovative storytelling formats, A.R., V.R., or 3-D
- Experience with any of the following: D3, Raphaël, Canvas, WebGL, or other rendering or animation libraries
- Experience with A.P.I.s
- Public mapping tools, such as QGIS
- Relational and document-based data stores, such as MySQL or Postgres
What Happens Next?
If you are interested in this opportunity, please apply below and we will review your application as soon as possible. Please note that due to the high level of applications we receive, it is not always possible for us to respond to each applicant in person.
Moving Traffic Media is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status.
Freelance Data Journalist
NEW YORK / SEO / FREELANCE